Sunday, September 14, 2008

Ellis Island in Sandy, UT!

This weekend we were able to visit Sandy City's "Healing Fields" which were a tribute to the losses of 9/11 as well as simulation process of becoming a "True American!" (Process of immigration testing). Here we are at "Ellis Island" with a great view of Lady Liberty!
It was spectacular to see the hundreds of flags (on two fields) on such a gorgeous day!
As you walked through the field of flags, there were milestones/citizenship commitments to read through and initial on your "passport," indicating your acceptance of these principles.
Next we took our Citizenship Test and oath of Citizenship. Thank goodness we passed:) We then had our "passports" initialed by an Ellis Island Official and received our Citizenship Certificate.
It was a fun experience for the kids and then we headed out for a family dinner at Chilis!

4 comments:

Toni said...

What a neat idea. I often how many Americans would be able to pass the citizenship test.

Nikki said...

Isn't that one of the coolest sights. We have been going almost every year.

I love the statue...Who on earth is the mastermind behind that. I am going to suggest that my husband take over 1/2 of the school projects. Why have I never thought of that before.

P.S. Where did you get the I belong button, I want one.

Crazy Lees said...

What great fun! I loved the life size Lady Liberty...

Anonymous said...

Seeing all of those flags would be such a neat experience. I love your pictures, you guys always do such fun things!