Friday, September 12, 2008

In Memory of... Beaker Dimond

Last weekend was kind of rough as we lost Steve's bird of 27 years. Cameron saw Beaker on his pole Saturday morning and he "didn't talk" but that afternoon, Kennedy comes running out of her room to tell us that "Beaker's dead." Of course we didn't think it was true at first as this bird has lived forever! He has survived multiple wing injuries where he caught his wing on the ladder in the cage etc. (losing blood). Sure enough, she was right. We were all in shock as we knew this day would come but never knew when. It was a somber and sad day for all of us.
By the time the shock passed, we were all in tears as we recalled his famous whistle, cute songs he would sing, and of course "barking like a dog" and "being a chicken." He loved to interact and talk to whoever walked by.
Our friends the Bakers were over at the time and probably thought we were nuts being so sad over a bird but it was a tear-jerker! Steve dug the grave and Chrisitian was the pallbearer:)
Christian placing him in the grave.
Our bunny marker now sits on the grave. We will miss you Beak! Beaker is irreplaceable so for now we won't be getting another bird. If any cousins want to "borrow" the condo-cage for their own bird experience, just let us know!

4 comments:

Jennie said...

I'm sorry guys. That is so sad. I about teared up reading your post. I loved his little whistle. It's hard to learn about death. Your little graveside service reminded me of burying Charlie I in Farmington. I was crushed. Sniff! Thanks for the offer on the cage. However, I think we are "good" for now. :)

Lexie said...

Oh, my gosh!!! I am so sad. one of the things that I loved about your house was beaker! so sorry!

flynn family said...

I have had quite a few birds in my lifetime, and have never had one live anywhere near 27 years--that is impressive! Mine always got out and flew away, and it is always traumatic.

Emma Jane said...

that is so sad! i am so sorry!